Sep 23, 2010

Final Memories

The expedition is coming to an end, our bags are packed, and in a couple days we each head out our own directions. Below we share our final memories, including our best and worst moments, and other thoughts on our time spent traveling through Mongolia and Russia.


A moment to be remembered:

Eric: We attended the Naadam Festival in Khankh, Mongolia’s National celebration of Independence. Here, befriended by Konstantine, a Russian who knew the area well; his commentary and willingness to answer questions brought an insight into the Mongolian way of life.

Ulysse: While in Mongolia, our canoes became a make shift ambulance to aid a sick man and his family across the Eg River. An ambulance-taxi awaiting him on the opposite shore to transport him to the nearest hospital.

Sarah: We came around the corner and there she was: Lake Baikal. We had entered the final stage of our journey which was promptly celebrated with a shot of vodka and a plunge into the world’s deepest lake. 

Elsa: Spending a couple days with Nina and Jenya on the shores of Lake Baikal. Not only did we get the chance to rappel and rock climb, but we also experienced a bania (Russian sauna) and sampled a bowl of traditional borsh soup.

Memorable characters:

Team: A mother of three teenagers, living in a one room house, insisted that we spend two nights with her and her family; eating her home cooked food and sleeping beside them on the floor. Her kindness was unforgettable. 

The Russian equivalent of Popeye the Sailor, this man in his fifties was the second captain of a sizable fishing vessel on which we were invited to spend the night. Strong, weathered, with piercing blue eyes, his character was completed with a stereotypical sailor’s hat and an anchor tattoo.

Two road weary travelers we met in Ulan-Ude, currently exploring the world with their home modified motorcycle. Check out their site: www.guzzioverland.co.uk

A moment better forgotten:

Eric: En route towards our start point, we pushed our hired van (that transported ourselves and our canoes) for four hours through the mud, just to be faced with another bigger bog blocking our route. Our driver informed us we would have to turn back; so we chose instead to spend two extra days paddling to our start point.

Elsa: On the Eg, I contracted heat stroke. The result was a sleepless night spent shivering, dizzy and throwing up. It took me four more days to completely recover.  

Ulysse: The paper work required to transport our canoes through the Mongolian-Russian border was an administrative head ache.

Sarah: One second I was on firm ground, the next I was falling into an abandoned well near the shores of lake Baikal, its opening completely concealed by thick vegetation. My foot took the burden of my fall, resulting in a broken bone; I have since slowed to the speed of a hop.

Most intense experience:

Team: While crossing a 17km open stretch on Lake Khovsgol, a thunder storm passed over us. A chilling head wind conjured up massive waves as rain pelted down. Lighting lit the skies.


If we did it again:

Team: We had a visa time constraint in Mongolia, and like any traveler it would have been pleasant to have more spare days. A few more challenging storms, portages or harsh conditions would have made us better appreciate the beautiful days we had.




Future plans:

Sarah: First, I will start the long job of editing all the footage from this trip, then dive right into planning my next expedition. All I can say is it will take place in a cold and snowy location with good winds to kite!

Eric: I will chill in Montreal for a week then possibly head to the States catch the last of the kite surfing season. During the windless days I will plan my next adventures... on the horizon are trips to Kamchatka and the North West Passage.

Ulysse: My plans for the next month are to remain in Russia to travel and write articles. After I will return to Quebec to work and start developing a project that I have dreamed up during this expedition.

Elsa: Upon my return I will write up my expedition report to finalize my degree in outdoor and adventure tourism. Next summer I hope to complete my instructors’ course with NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School).

By Team Vada


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What will you do with your canoes?

GT